You Are Reading

Saturday 7 September 2013

COP Evaluation


1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them: 

Choosing to design an exhibition opened up various opportunities to better my skills because it was looking at all aspects of an event which needed graphic design injecting into it. This made it a very exciting experience because I was challenging my design capabilities, taking on numerous deliverables that would ultimately make one overall.

The challenge for this module was obviously linking in my practice with the context of my chosen theme. I had to create something that related to my essay but that also touched on a certain theme. I had to deliver all of my research in such a way that the viewer would think it was an idea to inspire. I was quite ambitious with this module and created an exhibition that could be fully functional if it was put into practice.

My conceptual thinking definitely improved following this module, I took into account the subject matter and planned my deliverables around this, I used a black and white colour scheme for a particular reason, I used the logo I did, for a particular reason, I used the products I did, for a particular reason. Due to the fact my exhibition was touching on consumerism in a contemporary culture, I followed my idea on from exhibition to computer screen. Generating a quirky game that was both enjoyable and educational.

2. What approaches to methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process 

In terms of design production, I've learnt you should never think something is finished, you might of reached what you had in mind, but it can most certainly be improved. I constantly tried to better my finals, Using my laser cut illustrations to produce projections which were then photographed to be used in a publication for my exhibition which would be viewed by guests walking around it.

I've learnt to push my product ranges as far as possible and consider them in real life situations, every aspect has to be done for a reason and be used to make the happening of it that bit better. 

I'd say one of the most important changes to my methods of design production was the way I was approaching the thought process to my design making, I was approaching the brief in a conceptual way, making sure the purpose of my designs were aimed at a TMG, as oppose to just concentrating on making the visuals good.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

The exhibition works as a set because the contents has been carefully considered, I haven't just put a load of information from the internet in there, I've examined and analysed and from this created my own dialogue, the more research I undertook the more trends and correlations I began to discover, which added to the unique and interesting nature of the information.

My range - I've managed to create all of the required aspects for a fully working exhibition, I even managed to apply my conceptual thinking across a web based platform, creating an interface for an online game which would carry the exhibitions message.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future ?

On reflection, I should've tried to produce printed examples of the lanyard, tickets and wristbands however due to everything that's been happening in my life at the moment, I couldn't complete this so focused my attention on other attributes of the exhibition.

A weakness that I couldn't really avoid was how the commercially printed document was delivered. My name was imprinted in the back from where my address was written on the envelope. The binding procedure had used too much glue which has caused the back pages of the back to look quite shabby down the spine. Despite all of these weaknesses, I rang the supplier and ended up receiving the publication for free, so my primary concern was to make sure the photography side of the publication was up to scratch.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

Create all of my deliverables, this will improve my design awareness because I'll know for future reference how to print such things as wristbands. 

Use a different supplier If I'm printing something for commercial gain, this will improve quality and give my work that extra proffessional appeal instead of lowering its aesthetic appeal.

Try and create a whole branding set to photograph professionally, this will increase my online portfolio, because I only aim to put projects on that show a diverse printed range.

Try and put the exhibition into practice, I've tried to create all aspects of the event and organising how every aspect will function so why don't I try and actually generate one? this will give me a true insight to if what I've done is successful or just looks the part.

Although I'm very happy with the way research was undertook, I could've furthered improved my methods of research by maybe trying to gain some first hand research at an advertising agency or something similar.


Attendance - 4

Punctuality  - 5 

Motivation - 5

Commitment - 5

Quantity of work produced  - 5

Quality of work produced - 4

Contribution to the group -4

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Leeds College of Art. Graphic Design.
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.