You Are Reading

Friday 23 August 2013

COP Publication - Design Development 1

Consumerism in a contemporary culture. 

Following on from my essay title; "How is Psychoanalysis used within contemporary advertising." I wanted to find out more about the shift in consumers ideologies and how we've become to value goods for their arbitrary value rather than their utilitarian functions. Ultimately I wanted to explore how emotional marketing has effected some of the most notable products in todays culture. 

I needed to think about how I'd present my findings in a way that was memorable, dynamic and interesting that would suit the contemporary audience it was aimed at...

One of my most interesting ideas was to develop an exhibition & supporting material, that would showcase various famous products, in a real light, a light that would exploit the core emotional drivers behind each product that advertisers have generated.




I began Illustrating the emotional message tied to beer. The core emotional driver behind beer adverts was 'Independence' which I know from research into . I needed to think of potential ways I could combine both the products...with their emotional drivers and still have both of these aspects visible.

Shadows?
Shadows are known to reveal the frame or outline of something in particular lighting. After some background research, I had the idea to use the shadow as the revealing emotional driver behind the products.


Experimentation with projections and visualising what could be achieved through the use of light?


For each product I needed to create a vague outline, with this outline, I'd build up my own illustrations, taking form around the surrounding shape. Hopefully using this technique will leave me with a set of designs that are recognisable as products from a distance.





Could a similar technique be used in the exhibition? but with the shadow being the truth to the products appeal...


Illustration development, my idea was quite ambitious because I wasn't just setting out to gather information and collate research into a publication. I was aiming to produce an exhibition, supporting materials, illustrations & web-based concepts. Producing something that could potentially be put into action in the real world to inform and educate people in contemporary culture.




After investigating the usefulness of a projector, I set out to laser cut my illustrations, this meant I could place the cutouts onto the projector and decide on a suitable approach that would work within my publication for the audience to view around the exhibition.


Guidelines - I wanted the publication to be quite self explanatory consisting of the same layout throughout. This including; Photography, Description, title, logo and pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Leeds College of Art. Graphic Design.
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.