You Are Reading

Wednesday 5 October 2011

Alphabet Soup, typeface - Research

As inspiration I took a trip to the Library, sourcing out books that would best suit Lizzie's attributes/traits. I came across a book that reminded me of the fonts she was interested in.


I wanted to also explore Antique letter forms, this is because one of Lizzies prize possessions is a collection of Antique photographs of her Grandparents...I think some of the following fonts capture the time era, however is this because of the colour palettes? 





After reviewing the information I'd gathered from Lizzie, I found meaning within her answers, for example: Heights = Hanging Edges, Funny = Bold. I took this into account and began looking at more modern typefaces with broader curves and detail...





I like the aesthetics of Cursive fonts, Using a cursive font could've related to Paris and its exquisiteness and style. However the style, like the one shown in the pictures below can communicate various messages. For example it reminds me of a Hispanic tattoo parlour.

Following on from this research I could create my own cursive font with thinner lines because it's the opposite of my initial idea of using bigger block letters, which may turn out a bit industrial... the base for my initial idea will be Bebas Neu, however I think I'm focusing too much attention on this, maybe a cursive font would be better?...




I've tried to broaden my research, The text below shows how a message can be effectively communicated using one repeated attribute. If the font represented a person, it would be suggesting they have some form of attachment.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Leeds College of Art. Graphic Design.
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.