You Are Reading

Sunday 21 April 2013

Responsive / Feel Good Drinks YCN

Brief 1 / A new look for 'Feel Good'


We think our pack designs look good.  The designs are simple, colourful and impactful on shelf, the brand name is clear and most people get the fact that we are offering tasty, healthy drinks. 
However there is a risk that we’re being a little modest with our communication of some the main reasons to drink Feel Good eg no added sugar and 100% natural ingredients. We also want to ensure that we strike the right balance between the communication that our drinks are healthy and having label designs which makes people smile and feel good. 
We’re big fans of simple, uncluttered pack design, we like what we’ve got but recognise that the best designs are constantly evolving. The supporting information included in our project pack shows how our designs have evolved over the last 10 years, we’re up for change and would love to see some fresh ideas.






I was quite confused when I analysed the briefs deliverables, before it came to even drafting my designs, I wanted to make sure I was editing and designing the correct things.

As you can see it says the leaf changes depending on the fruits in the container, however when looking at all of 'Feel Good's' range below you notice that the leaf is consistent despite the change in flavours? the most plausible solution to this discovery would be too also incorporate this leaf in some manner...


Thinking about the leaf in such a manner has urged me to develop my own leaf and make its appearance one of the focal points of my design. As you can see it hasn't been included in the past designs but because 'Feel Good' are adapting to their cultural contexts, they've embraced the idea of promoting the 'healthy' aspect of their company and used a leaf on their most recent bottle label designs.



Using a leaf makes it quicker for the audience to recognise the 'healthy' aspect of the drink, this is backed up by the fact that if you took the leaf off of the images below, you'd be noticing nothing but circular shapes which could potentially pass as a million and one things. However, if you place the leaf on top of these designs, they're instantly recognised as fruit, vegetables and just natural healthiness.

Although I quite like the comical and refreshing message behind this advertisement, it seems quite cliche, other competitors such as 'RIBENA' adopt fruit characters to portray their juiciness and make the obvious jokes that were all too familiar with. I think they've got the basis of a good idea here already, but I can tell ALOT of people undertaking this brief will do something similar, trying to incorporate a personality into the fruits. I think If I end up taking this direction, I should focus on creating an identity with my range of packaging rather than just characters.


Although 'Feel Good' are a fan of minimalism, I really don't think it's a suitable direction for a fun- loving, happy, healthy & flavoursome brand. Just because other brands are changing and some are becoming minimalist. I really feel strongly that a relationship could be built with the designs I'm working on and give the company that difference in a market where everything is slowly following on from one another. The brief also states that they feel their being 'too modest' with their label designs so surely putting less on a label is going to make it even harder to get this message across?

I think there's not really any point in focusing on brief 2 until I'm happy with the label designs/ range I'll be producing, this way I can make the campaigns truly compliment the new range of labels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Leeds College of Art. Graphic Design.
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.